May is Mental Health Month!
May is Mental Health month and we are making it our mission to spread the word of education, advocacy and support for mental illness. This month is dedicated to stopping the stigma and supporting each other through the journey of mental health. How can you help? We’re glad you asked!
- Use the hashtag #IntoMentalHealth with any applicable social media posts on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. NAMI national is encouraging everyone to use this hashtag so we can make mental health month a trending topic throughout May!
- Read this insightful blog from NAMI National about stopping stigma…and then put it into action! A few tips include being respectful with your language when talking about mental health. Instead of saying, “He is schizophrenic.” Say, “He has a diagnosis of schizophrenia.”
- Read! The Mighty is one of our favorite sites for inspiring, heartbreaking and eyeopening stories about mental health. It serves as a platform for anyone to share their story with the world.
- Hold an event at your workplace, church, book group or other social circle to raise awareness about mental health.
- Become a member of your local NAMI Iowa affiliate! Take a class or volunteer!